Saturday, December 8, 2007

Any input???

I am going to be meeting with two different grad schools this week about possibly attending there schools. Tuesday morning I meet with the Dean of the School of Education at Oklahoma State University--Tulsa about their Higher Education Masters degrees, one emphasizing a cirriculum in Student Personell Services (working admin or staff positions) and the other a Masters in Education (teaching and lecturing). Wednesday afternoon I meet with the President, Dean of Law, and several distinguished alumni from the University of Tulsa to discuss a possibility of attending their Law school. My problem is not getting into either school because I have busted my ass to retain a 3.8 GPA as an undergrad, and my decision is not based off the cost of either school. Even though the University of Tulsa cost $25000 per semester regardless of how many classes I am taking. My dilema resolves with what I want to do for the rest of my life. I completely enjoy every minute I spend teaching, and working in the atmosphere of a higher education institute, but will I get burned out on it. One of my passions is the law, I love to research the law and help people that cannot afford a lawyer. In addition, whenever I read or research the law it does not leave my mind. It becomes a hinderance sometimes when I cannot get a certain statute or code off my mind. I have to work that statute or code until I have answered the questioned I started with. Sometimes I just have to pour a tall vodka and cranberry to help forget about it. The downfall I see myself in the most involves income. Working in higher education really starts to pay once a professor or staff member has reached tenure and that is a process that can take upwards of ten years. Working with a general law degree to help the misfortunate only looks like it will leave me extremely in debt. The next level of degree is already a part of the Dirty Berg life plan, but choosing the one that will leave me and my wife in a better spot financially than we are now is the key. Any outside opinions would be greatly appreciated.

DB

3 comments:

Uncle Spud & Aunt JoJo said...

Both worthy goals, sounds as if you have made up your mind on just two options. There are lots of very rich attorneys in the world, you don't have to do everything pro bono. Teaching would be the most satifying to me and as you work toward tenure, things change something different could happen. I have enjoyed all the things I have done in my life and I am not through. Something could happen tomorrow that could send me down a completely different path. Ain't life great!

Retro Blog said...

You may wish to remind yourself that you will work a minimum of three different careers in your lifetime; one could be for money, the other two for enjoyment. You just have to figure out what it is that you would enjoy doing. There are so many fields of law and all universities need teachers. Faced with the two choices I would take teaching at University level, purely for the culture.

Melody said...

I think that you should look outside the box for a minute and take money completely out of the picture.. For instance, I work full-time and I DON'T get paid and I could not be a happier person.... Others, work 90 hours a week, never see their family, are prolly divorced and are wealthy.. Sounds like fun huh! Sit on that for a while!!!!